Monday, December 8, 2008

Thanksgiving

I know Thanksgiving was a while ago, but better late than never to write about my experiences that day. It is always very strange to spend a very American holiday in a country that is not America. Thanksgiving was the second holiday I have encountered like that so far. The fourth of July was the first.

I had to work that day. I tried to get the day off, but it was right in the middle of parent observations, so I had to work. I didn't get off until 8 pm and my co-net didn't get off until 9 pm. But we had decided that we should celebrate anyway. We wanted to go to Red Lobster, because that was the best American restaurant in Toyota. But when we went to find it, we couldn't, the whole building was gone. Apparently, it closed 6 months ago. So we ended up going to Denny's. It was that or Micky D's. So here we are in the restaurant.


We also decided that it was perfectly acceptable to order all the food we wanted and stuff ourselves, because that's what we would have done if we had been home. I'm sure the waitress was shocked at the stupid Americans eating all of this food.

And before you start to think that we let a lot of food go to waste, think again. We ate it all.

And since there is always room for dessert, we went back to my apartment and had a little pumpkin pie.

It wasn't a Thanksgiving like any I have ever had, but it was good. And I do have a lot to be thankful for: family and friends all over the world who love me, God, who takes care of me no matter where in the world I am, and I'm coming home for Christmas.

No comments: