Monday, April 6, 2009

Gym memberships

I have been considering joining the gym here in Toyota for a while. Honestly, joining a gym was always something I thought unnecessary. Why pay someone to run on a treadmill when I can run outside for free? Well that's all well and good when there is a nice place to run. But here my option is the street and that's not great on your knees. And mine have been bothering me. Anyway, so the gym here is actually REALLY nice. There is a pool, tons of new equipment and they offer all kinds of classes. So after much internal debate I finally did it today. And keep in mind that this is no small task, what with the whole language barrier and all.

So I went this morning with the moral support of my co-worker. After many consultations with the bilingual dictionary, the exchange of more money than I care to admit and almost 60 minutes I was a member of the Toyota Gym with all the rights and privileges that brings. Oh but wait, then I had to go back for orientation.

That turned out to be a tour of the gym and a little bit of brief information on how to use the lockers and info on some of the rules. I hope I understood the important parts. I learned where I am allowed to wear my shoes and where I am not. And it also turns out that the shoes that I wear for training have to be shoes that I only wear in the gym. They made me borrow a pair of shoes because the shoes I wore in had been on the street (shock, gasp, horror). Next time I'll just carry those shoes in and they will never know. Yeah right like I'm going to go out and buy another new pair of tennis shoes! Um no!

And the facility is really nice. I worked out today after orientation. And I totally felt like I was playing on the machines. I just wanted to try out a bunch of them and kind of get a feel for the place. The treadmills and bikes are AWESOME. They have individual television screens on all of them. So next time I have to take my headphones to plug in and I will be able to hear, granted that doesn't mean I will be able to understand. Oh well, details.

Tomorrow is pilates. I can't wait.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I joined a small gym which mainly focused on giving Aerobics classes and it was one of the best decisions I made in Japan! Half the time me and the other two gaijin who joined with me couldn't understand the instructions, but the teachers (well most of them) thought it was a hoot having us there. We just followed what everyone else was doing. We made sure we always wore one pair of shoes to show we were changing into our "indoor" shoes even if our tennis shoes weren't necessarily "indoor" shoes... shhhhh.

Jennifer said...

Ha, that is so funny. That is exactly how I feel. I went to an aerobics class yesterday. I didn't understand anything that she said, but I tried to follow what the other people were doing, but it was still hard for me, mostly because I have no rythm. But it was super fun. And I wear one pair of shoes and then change into my "indoor" shoes, too! (he-he). How is the pregnancy going? When are you due again; I forgot?