Saturday, May 23, 2009

An Interesting Cross-cultural Experience

So the other day after work, I had asked one of my co-workers to help me pump up the tires of my bike. They were both really low and if I didn't do something soon, I was going to screw up my bike. So Shiho (one of the Japanese teachers) came out to help me. While we were attaching the bicycle pump to my tires we heard the sound of a woman screaming in Japanese "I don't want to". She kept getting louder and louder. We stopped what we were doing to go see what was going on across the street. Turns out there was a man trying to shove her into a car. And she kept screaming and screaming. Shiho said she was also saying "I'm sick. I'm sick". I wanted to go over and make the man leave this poor woman alone. I kept asking Shiho if we should go over there, but she just cocked her head and made a face like she wanted to say no. Japanese people rarely come out and say no to you. That would be seen as rude.

Much to my relief the man finally did just leave. I guess there were enough peole standing around watching that he thought it would be best if he just stopped. Shiho and I were not the only onlookers. After he walked away, the woman sat in her car. I still wanted to go over there and see if she wanted help or wanted to call someone or something. But Shiho was reluctant. She finally just drove off. Then we went back and fixed my bike.

I felt like this was so strange that so many Japanese people stopped what they were doing and watched the situation unfold, but nobody went to offer any help. I've never seen something like this happen in the States, but I like to think that people would help. I wanted to help, but it would have been difficult if not impossible for the woman and I to understand each other. But maybe I'm just making excuses.

No comments: