Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

Oh wait, if you are reading this you might be more interested in where in the world Jennifer is. In that case, scratch Carmen Sandiego. I don't know where she is anyway. I had posted earlier that I would take a new job as an Emergency Teacher (ET). The easiest way to explain it is I am a glorified substitute teacher. I returned to Japan in mid-January and began ET training. There were two other ETs with me in Okayama. Together we learned about the new teaching style that would be implemented starting in April. Towards the end of the second week in Okayama the other two girls were both told that they had placements and would go to their respective schools a week later. There was not a placement for me. I had no idea how long I would be at the headquarters . . . not teaching. Then on Saturday after a week of waiting I was told I would be going to NAGANO, home of the 1998 Winter Olympics. Not only was I told I'd go to Nagano but that I would leave the next day.

I had one day to do the preparation that the other two girls had had a week to do. But hey, I knew these kinds of things would happen when I signed up for the job. I spent that last day in the office preparing my supplies, making phone calls to my new school and preparing my luggage to be sent. It was a very busy and exciting day.

The next day I got on the train for the six hour ride to Nagano. I arrived at my new apartment which was much newer and bigger than my previous apartment. It is a beautiful place to hang my hat. I also love living in Nagano. The mountains surrounding the city are incredibly beautiful. After all this is Japan's winter playground. I plan on taking advantage of that fact in the very near future. Snowboarding, skiing, here I come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaa, Nagano! Nagano IS so beautiful!! I went there with Rotary and we spent there few days but living there...? Sounds incredibly awesome. I'm the Maria of Finland by the way.

I'm gonna keep reading your blog so expect me commenting every once in a while!

kulttuuriministeri said...

So now I found my blogger -thing so now I don't need to be anonymous. : D

Oh, I'm still Maria.