Saturday, August 23, 2008

Yokohama

Day Two of vacation took Erin and me to Yokohama. It is barely 20 minutes from Tokyo but a world away. It doesn't feel nearly as busy or rushed. You feel like you can breathe here. The fate of Yokohama was changed forever when Matthew Perry landed there in 1853-54 to persuade Japan to open its doors to the world. And a lot has changed since then, originally Westerners were confined to an area inside a moat and called Kannai (inside the barrier). Fortunately, for me this is no longer the case.

Since later on in the week I will be visiting the tallest mountain in Japan, it only seems fitting that I should also see the tallest building in Japan. That brings us to Landmark Tower. It is 70 storeys tall and 296 meters.

The tallest building in Japan.

Some interesting sculpture in front of Japan's tallest building.

Inside the Landmark Tower was more shopping than any girl needs. So Erin and I took some time to look around. While we were wandering we came across this little boy about to jump into this pool. We both thought that the pool didn't look deep enough for a stunt like this, only to discover that it was all some sort of art exhibit and not a real boy. It sure looked real.

Probably the coolest escalator in the world, or at least Japan.

And then it was time to head up to the observation deck on the 69th floor. I wander what they have on the 70th floor. The view sure was amazing, even if it wasn't really the top.

One of the first ferris wheels in Japan that I have skipped taking a ride on. I feel like I have ridden a lot of them since I got here. And it also seems like every town has a ferris wheel and they all try to make them special. Whether they are calling it the world's biggest, or putting it on top of a building or out by the port, they are all unique.

Sure is a big city.

Erin and me.

Man hole cover of Yokohama. That is another thing that all Japanese cities have unique to themselves. A lot of cities even paint them in different colors and its like a little piece of art in the street.

We stopped to watch a street performer, he was ok. The highlight was this sweet little boy with his arm around his sister. Kawaii (cute)

The port at dusk.
Chinatown. This picture is all I brought back from Chinatown, there wasn't really much shopping, unless you wanted food. I really wanted a Chinese dress, but I couldn't find one that was affordable and also fit me.

No comments: