Thursday, June 3, 2010

Posting

Yesterday I had my first experience with posting. Posting is a uniquely Japanese thing that I'm sure is illegal in the States and I'd probably get arrested if I tried it. Posting involves stuffing information about your business into people's mailboxes. The letters you are passing out are called "chirashi" which sounds a lot like the English word "trash". As far as I'm concerned that is exactly what it is. I hate opening my mailbox only to find piles of incomprehensible advertisements. But in Japan it is a perfectly valid and legal form of advertising.

So yesterday morning I set out from work armed with a map and 700 pieces of chirashi. My manager had told me which apartment complexes to go to. I found them with a minimal amount of difficulty and began spreading the Amity information. At first I was worried that someone would yell at me and tell me to stop, but no one really paid any attention to me. One woman even said hello to me as I was stuffing the information into her mailbox. It took me about an hour to get them all passed out. It went fast because all of the mailboes are together in a little room and you can get rid of about 50 with each building.

The morning wasn't a complete loss, since I needed to go the Daiso ($1 store) to get work supplies my manager said I could do it after I finished. So I got to do a little shopping on work time. It was also nice to just be outside and get some exercise. Now we'll wait and see if we get any new students as a result of my efforts. I hope so.

No comments: