Is it bad when a blog comes with more warnings than a bottle of toxic chemicals. Oh well. Sorry if it is.
So two nights ago I was lying in bed reading before I went to sleep. And I saw something crawling on the ceiling out of the corner of my eye. I looked up to see this ginormous bug crawling around. I thought it might be a cockroach, but the light was on and it was sitting right next to it. And I was under the impression that roaches don't like light. So I jumped up wondering what in the world I was going to do about this situation. I decided to try and throw something up at it to make it come down so I could kill it. After a few attempts it FLEW down at me, and started to crawl around on my floor. I chased it into a corner with my shoe at which point I smashed. I removed my shoe thinking there that is taken care of. At which point it proceeded to run into a different corner. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't get to it in its new hiding place so I resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to sleep with some gross bug in my apartment.
I went to work the next day and told one of my Japanese co-workers about the incident and she said, yes it was a cockroach and yes they do fly. I also did a little research on Asian cockroaches. I learned that they are GIANTS, they fly and they like light. This means that if you have a large problem with them and you go to your kitchen at night for a little snack and open the refrigerator door, when the light comes on they will all fly into your fridge to get near the light. Then you have a really big problem. What in the world is up with this country and their crazy bugs. I came home that night and never saw a sign of my "little friend" and decided that he must have found someone else to harass.
The next night I had invited my co-workers up to my apartment for a movie night. Only one came, Kaori, but that was fine. We were talking and I was telling her of the the drama of the previous night. And in the middle of the story she screams, "Its behind you." I turn and see nothing and think she is just joking with me. But she is very adamant. So I turn and sure enough he is back. We debate about what is to be done and decide that we must go and buy something to kill this loathsome creature. After going to three, yes three, stores we find what looks like heavy duty roach killer. We return to my apartment, armed and dangerous.
We find him perched on the ceiling directly above my refrigerator, microwave, toaster and tea kettle. (They are all stacked one on top of the other.) I remove the kettle and toaster and throw some plastic over the microwave and fridge. I just want to kill the bug not contaminate my own food supply. Roach spray in hand, Kaori and I prepare to destroy this home invader. I was very nervous that as soon as I began to spray him he would fly at my face. But he didn't; he did tried to run, but he was no match for me. I defeated him and flushed him down the toilet.
Kaori and I were just finishing congratulating ourselves on a job well done, when what should crawl out of my school bag but another monstrous bug. Granted he was not as big as the first one, but still very large. I screamed and sprayed him until he died and flushed him down the toilet. When will the madness stop.
I had also bought some of those little roach motels where the roaches come and eat the bait and take it back to their little friends and give it to them and then they all die. I haven't seen a sign of any more bugs, so I hope this problem is solved. Which reminds me I need to go clean up my dirty dishes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow--what an adventure! I hope you have no more giant visitors!
Post a Comment