Friday, July 3, 2009

My new Japanese Friend

So I think I said earlier, that I had joined the gym here. They offer a lot of different classes, so I had been trying different ones out to see if I liked them. Unfortunately, because of the language barrier I had to go to the class to find out what it really was. I tried yoga and pilates and a crazy dance class before finding the kickboxing class. I really like that one for obvious reasons, to anyone who knows me. So the other day I was sitting in the room stretching waiting for the class to start, when a Japanese woman came and sat right next to me. Usually, they leave a little bit of space because we are all going to be up kicking and punching pretty soon. So I turned to her and said a timid "good evening" in Japanese. She started right in with her English asking me where I was from, what I was doing in Japan and how long I had been here. I responded to her English questions in Japanese, which I'm sure would have been very comical to anyone listening.

It turns out that she and her husband and two kids lived in England for a few years when his company (Toyota) sent hime there. And her name is Yuakari. I finally ran out of things to say in Japanese so I had to switch to English, which she probably appreciated because she wanted to practice English. But it was so nice to have someone to talk to at the gym. Usually, I go and am isolated while I watch all of the Japanese people have very lively and animated conversations. Its kind of sad sometimes. But don't feel sorry for me. Really its my own fault for not studying Japanese more and being more proactive about talking to people.

Then after the class I met her husband. And while I was talking to Yukari, another girl walked up and was impressed with Yukari's English. So we talked to her. Then another woman came up and joined the conversation. It was a new experience for me to be talking to people in this setting. It was really fun. I look forward to seeing my new Japanese friend again.

1 comment:

Erin Moran said...

I love when things like that happen. I miss Japan!