Monday, July 27, 2009

名古屋港花火 Nagoyoa Port Fireworks.

I can't remember if I said this last year or not, but the fireworks in Japan are sooooooooo good. The shows last a long time and the fireworks make imaginative pictures in the sky. It is not your typical round ball of sparks. Last weekend and again this weekend I was able to watch some fireworks shows. Last weekend was at Nagoya Port. When we got to the port there was a little parade going on. Here are some of the floats we saw.




These men are pushing the float. Some of the floats even had little kids helping to push. Then they have people sitting on the floats and playing instruments or just sitting. Unfortunately, they don't throw candy, but that would be a nice addition to parades here. . . . No scratch that, there are too many people if they were all running after candy, it could get ugly.
It is traditional for Japanese people to don their yukatas (Japanese summer cotton kimono) to go and view the fireworks. So even we foreigners decided to join the festivities and put on our own yukatas. Here is a picture of my friends and me with our yukatas on. I have only had mine for a couple of weeks and I have already had so many opportunities to wear it. And when I get back home, I'm going to wear it for 4th of July fireworks, because that is what you wear for fireworks.

I'm not sure what this one is, but it is cool.
This is one of my favorites.
This one is a cube.
These are just awesome.
Here is a little video from the fireworks show, with of all things Coldplay in the background.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

I went to Japan the summer before my senior year of college with a group of other students from my hometown. the other girl from my high school and I were dressed in yukatas by our host families when we went to the local festival one night. at one point we found ourselves surrounded by some young men wearing neon swim caps, goggles, and neon speedos... we of course had to take our picture with them which is now forever immortalized in our senior year high school yearbook! Festivals are so much fun!